Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Help Stewart Fight Acute Myeloid Leukemia

The idea of Pikermi for a cause wasn't just mine, it was a consensus with  my batch-mate  last June 12, during our first official meeting as UNC HS Batch 93-Manila Edition. I haven't seen most of them for nearly nineteen years. That's why I was excited to show up and see them again and perhaps make up for the lost time. It happened on the residence of Dovey family. It was the first time I met Stew. A very kind and hospitable person, and a long time partner of my batch mate Shiela, they both have gregarious personality. Their family is so  full of life. The kids are very active in their school and other  endeavors that I find it amusing for Shiela to organize that meeting, given her busy schedule as a working mom.

It was promising start with a lot of idea on the batch charity works. I got update that batch-mates based in Naga City and  UAE are having their dental mission. While we (Manila edition) are pursuing to help the underprivileged children of CamSur dubbed as "Brighter Future Project".  The meeting ended we parted ways. I continue stealing time during lunch break to train for Pikermi. We update each other through facebook and go about life like it used to be.

Then sometime end of June came a shocking news. Stew is suffering from acute leukemia. I am not sure but I guess the other term is the cancer of the blood. Our batch mate Shiela is devastated. It's a very difficult time for her. I am at lost for words, I couldn't figure out how a strong person is suddenly snatched away from his strength.  And through this blog, I am appealing to you dear reader for help. A debilitating disease such as Lukemia requires a lot of resources. Let's help Stew survive. You can help him by donating as little as fifty dollars by following this link.

Thank you very much for your time.

P.S. Pls read  below letter that Stew sent out through Shiela's facebook account early July, this letter breaks my heart. I believe nobody deserve such condition. Lets extend the needed help, let's be thankful that we are in perfect health.

Stew and Shiela before his illness

Hi!
First of all, Shiela and I would like to thank all of those who have given their time, effort and blood to help us in our time of need. The support has been truly touching and reflects what a tight-knit group of people live and work here in the Philippines – from all countries, including our host nation.
Secondly, we would like to give you a brief update on my condition. I have spent the past two weeks getting my body ready for chemotherapy. This will start today, 9 July.
Because I have leukemia, this chemo is not just aimed at one area of my body, but is placed directly into my blood stream to kill the white blood cells which have gone crazy inside me.
Hopefully, the chemo will kill this massive quantity of mis-performing white blood cells. However, in order to do so, the chemicals basically have to kill off all of the good stuff in my blood and marrow as well as the bad stuff.
This is going to leave me with no immunity for 3-4 weeks initially.
In order to give my body a fighting chance, I am going to require blood transfusions every 1-2 days throughout this period. This is why we have been asking if you, your friends or colleagues can possibly help by donating B+ blood.
If you are not aware, the hospitals here take no responsibility to source blood. The whole responsibility lies with the patient’s family.
All the blood that I have needed so far has been donated by our dear friends or found by Shiela and her family – and then collected from whichever source by them, often driving across Manila in the middle of the night to collect it.
I do have an urgent requirement for blood as soon as tomorrow afternoon. If you or anyone you know is in a position to give B+ blood tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday, please, please, please contact Shiela as soon as possible to arrange what to do.
That said, we don’t need all donations tomorrow. We don’t even need all donations this week. If you or a colleague or a member of your family is B+, and can give up half a working day any day in the next 4 weeks, please let Shiela know so she can schedule your donation.
Because of the rigorous testing that all blood donations require, the whole process is likely to take about half a day. We know this sounds a long time to give up, but, without the assistance of volunteers, quite simply, I am going to die.
Shiela can be contacted on 623 3329 (landline) or 0918 902 2971 (Smart) or 0917 864 7336 (Globe)
Thanks for reading this. I hope you never suffer this debilitating medical problem (or any other!), and thank you for any help you can give.
Yours truly
Stewart Dovey


No comments:

Post a Comment